Commentary: Danny Kenny

Date: 8th November 2017  Wednesday League

Game 1: Stanley’s Cask V Silver Foxes

With a new start to The Season all teams were raring to go with everything to play for. Tonight saw Stanley’s Cask rise to The Masters League (over 45’s). Having a struggling last season with a mid-table position in Division 2 (over 35’s), these guys are hoping for a better shot in their new division. Given a tough task being paired up against last season’s 3rd placed Silver Foxes.

The Foxes match line up was missing their regular goal keeper Chris Smith, giving the opposition a good chance. They started the game with Andy Carson in goal. The ever dependable George Wooton at 73 years old, our oldest Masters League player finds himself in The Foxes Squad too.

The game kicked off and had a few early chances, one from Dave Jones (Silver Foxes) following a free kick on the penalty spot and a couple from Simon Hughes (Stanley's Cask) but neither team got the chance to celebrate. Jeff Mitchell (Foxes)saw a shot from the left wing go narrowly wide. Simon Hughes had a 'toey' go wide and high of Carson's goal.

Following a pass to the right wing Simon Hilton's shot slips past Dave Aston to make it 1-0 to The Foxes. Hilton and Paul Mackenzie link up with a lovely 1-2 play only to be denied in the end.

A pause in play sees the first substitutions of the night, with Wooton replacing Jeff Mitchell for Foxes and John Knight making his debut of the Masters League.

Stanley’s apply pressure upon The Foxes goal, they see efforts from Hilton and Knight go wide. 10 minutes in, and Stanley's are putting up a good show against their tricky opponents.  Two goals from Simon Hughes sees Stanley's taking the lead for the first time in the game; one comes via a shot from Chris Keenan which is saved by the keeper but goes straight back out to Simon who puts it away for the score 2-1.

Mitchell is now back on the pitch to change up game play. Hilton sees another powerful shot hit the back of the net to level things up again. Keenan spots a hopeful shot deflect off Mitchell to send the keeper the wrong way and go into the goal. It is now 3-2 to Stanley's.

Scott Elliott steps up in goal for The Foxes in the second half. Keith Graham carried off a phenomenal full length pitch pass – definitely the pass of the evening! Results in a shot from Knights just skipping wide.

Hughes pulls off a tremendous tackle, taking the ball off the toe of Simon's foot just as he is about to pull the trigger! Paul Mackenzie comes back on and sees his shot from the edge of the box saved by Dave's feet, and follows that up with another shot that goes wide of the goal. Quickly returned at the other end, Knight sees his effort turned over for height by Elliot. Stanley's appear to be tiring now as the Foxes pile on the pressure looking for the equaliser. Shot after shot there is no prevailing goal for The Foxes. Dave Jones has an awkward fall in the left corner and needs some first aid after injuring his left wrist, which ends up with a bag of ice on it on the touchline. Aston keeps Stanley’s in the game deflecting a shot from Mitchell. Will Stanley's be able to hold on for a surprise first game win?

Wooton has a shot from the halfway line but sees denied as it flies wide and high.  Dave is unfortunate and his mistake costs his team dear, as his error goes to Simon who passes the ball across the box to Jones who scores the equaliser with only seconds to go. Final whistle blows and the game ends 3-3 and it was an excellent showing from Stanley's Cask.

Final Score: Stanleys Cask (3) V (3) Silver Foxes

MOM - Dave Jones.

Latest Posts